Google

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Thyroid Issues Affecting Fertility

Hyperthyroidism symptoms: palpitations, heat intolerance, weight loss, trembling hands and light menstruation. I experienced all that and was further confirmed by my blood test.

I decided to focus on curing my thyroid first because it does affect the chances of conceiving.

So I consulted my endocrinologist, she prescribed medicines to at least normalize my TSH before scheduling my operation. I had to have surgery because it was cystic and it continued to grow.

In September 2005, I was operated and I had high hopes that now we will be able to conceive because we have eliminated the thyroid problem.

After the operation, i had my regular blood test to check on my thyroid hormone levels and I found out that this time I developed hypothyroidism as an effect of removing my thyroid. By the way I already had one part remove 15 years ago so there was really nothing left with my thyroid.

The doctor recommended for me to take medicines for life to ensure that I will be able to maintain my thyroid hormones at the right level. After 6 months, everything was back to normal.

After receiving the good news, my husband and I decided to consult a new OB to begin our fertility work-up for the second time.

No comments: