Google

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Connection of Thyroid in Reproductive Immunologic Problems

After numerous search and gathering feedbacks (learning from our previous mistake), we decided to consult a top notch ob/gyn. During our first consultation, I explained to him in detail my medical condition. After learning about my thyroid condition (thyroidectomy), he immediately referred us to an immunologist.

He wanted to eliminate or determine whether I was suffering from immunological problem due to my thyroid problems. It is a major factor in suspecting a patient of having reproductive immunological problems despite the fact that I did not really exhibit/experience the usual indications.

Indications of reproductive immunologic problems (as explained by my doctor): repeated miscarriage (3-4 times), IUI and IVF failures, unexplained infertility, and unable to conceive again despite having a child already.

I've only had one miscarriage, have not tried IUI or IVF, no child and I think I'm only positive with the unexplained fertility.

So my husband and I consulted an immunologist and he explained to us what Reproductive Immunology is all about. It was a very complicated matter and I really did not understand what it was all about.

So, what I did was to research in the internet and spent time in really understanding it. Here's a summary of all the collected data I gathered from the internet . It consists of 5 Categories (1) Absence of Pre Formed Blocking Antibody (2) Anti Phospholipid Antibody (3) ANA (4) Anti Sperm and (5) NK Cells greater than 12%.

Caregory 1 - Lack of Blocking Antibody to Pregnancy

Summary:

"In normal pregnancy the male part of the embryo will cause the woman to develop antibodies that form a protective ‘ring’ (a blocking antibody) around the embryo. In couples that are a close genetic match there is a lack of the blocking antibody to pregnancy, the embryo or fetus is rejected and the pregnancy fails". (Source: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/immunologysupport/files/immune treatments, what are they?/Reproductive Immunology at CARE Patient Guide)

Category 2 - Antiphospholipid Antibodies (APA's)

Summary:

"Repeated miscarriages, IVF failures, endometriosis and anything that causes tissue injury can lead to the formation of antibodies to phospholipids. These are called antiphospholipid antibodies. Phospholipids are important molecules in the membranes of all cells, and antibodies to these important molecules can derange cell function, cause inflammation and can even cause blood to clot too quickly". (Source: http://repro-med.net/info/cat2.php)

Category 3 - Positive Anti-nuclear Antibody (ANA)

Summary:

"Category 3 immune problems occur in 22% of women with recurrent pregnancy losses and nearly 50% of women with infertility and IVF failures. Women with this problem make antibodies to DNA, or DNA breakdown products in the embryo or in the pregnancy. The woman's blood clots too fast cutting off support to the baby. These antibodies also cause the embryo to attach too weakly to the uterus". (Source: http://repro-med.net/info/cat3.php)

Category 4 - Anti-sperm antibodies

Summary:

"The antibody to sperm is often associated with antiphospholipid antibodies to the phospholipids serine and ethanolamine. Antibodies to sperm should be suspected

* if women have antibodies to serine and or ethanolamine,
* in women with poor post coital tests (sperm are dead or not moving in the cervical
mucus), and

* in women whose spouses have antisperm antibodies."

(Source: http://repro-med.net/info/cat4.php)

Category 5 - Elevated Natural Killer Cells

Summary:

"Natural Killer Cells are good because they stop the body from developing cancer. Twelve per cent of women with recurrent pregnancy losses (3 or more) and 35% of women with 3 or more IVF failures have elevated NK cells.
NK cells are one of the most primitive lymphocytes in man. They have several useful functions. One of these is to produce a cytotoxic chemical called tumor necrosis factor (TNF). TNF is very effective in eliminating altered cells in our body e.g. cancer cells. Some women have higher than normal levels. The embryo can be misinterpreted as cancer cells and in pregnancy, NK cells increase in number and killing power, causing embryos to become damaged by the TNF." (Source: http://repro-med.net/tests/nkassay.php)

Whew, it was really tough trying to understand everything. After reading so many articles about it, I really prayed and hoped we will not test positive to any of the categories.

So my husband and I went for our blood tests. They took I think about 12 vials of my blood because there were 12 tests that needs to be done. They only took 5 vials from my husband (lucky him :)). I had to stay like 15-20 minutes in the lab because they were having a hard time getting my blood because I had thin veins. They even used the needle for babies just to be able to get the required blood sample from me. It was an exhausting time for me.

On top of that it was really expensive, we spent more than P40,000 pesos for the tests.

Next would be the results and treatment required.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi milky way. i was just browsing the net and came across your blog. i can relate because i've gone through the same experience. i was devastated to have lost two babies. i was so updated at first with my condition. i did research on all my meds and treatment. i had frequent trips to my ob and my immunologist and i was TIRED! the treatment hurts like hell and it took a toll on our savings.

you know, take a sit back for a while and talk to God. ask Him to heal you. hubby and i still don't have kids but we know they're coming. yeah, the FACT says i have an immune system disorder and the test results are like blaring to my face that i'm indeed sick. but my God's TRUTH says by Jesus' stripes i am healed. i refuse to dwell on the FACTS and instead i made a decision to hold on to GOD's TRUTH. sure, go on with the treatment, why not. but ask God to give your doctors wisdom on how you should be treated.

milky way, prayer is so powerful and our God is too. give your burden to Him and let Him lead your way. put Him first and He will give you the desires of your heart.

God bless you.